27 Oct 2016

Por una cabeza, Spanish-English

Carlos Gardel, Alfredo Le Pera
Tango Bar (1935)

"Por una cabeza"
Spanish-English interlinear translation


  Por una cabeza
 
1  Por una cabeza
de un noble potrillo
que justo en la raya
afloja al llegar,
y que al regresar
parece decir:
No olvidés, hermano,
vos sabés, no hay que jugar.

 by a head
of a pedigree young-horse
that just in the line
it-slackens when it- arrives,
and that  when it-returns
it-seems to-say: 
not  forget,  brother,
you   you-know,  not  there-is  to-bet.
 
2  Por una cabeza,
metejón de un día
de aquella coqueta
y burlona mujer, (y risuena mujer,)
que al jurar sonriendo
el amor que está mintiendo,
quema en una hoguera
todo mi querer.

 by a head,
being-in-heat of a day
of that inconstant
and  kidding (smiling)  woman,
who when  she-swears  smiling
the love that she-is  lying-about,
burning in a  large-fire
all my  love.
 
** 3a  Por una cabeza,
todas las locuras.
Su boca que besa,
borra la tristeza,
calma la amargura.

3b  Por una cabeza,
si ella me olvida
qué importa perderme
mil veces la vida,
para qué vivir.  **

 caused-by a head,
all  the insanities.
her mouth  that it-makes-contact,
it-deletes the sadness,
it-calms the bitterness.

 caused-by a head,
if she about-me she-forgets
what it-matters to-lose-myself
thousand times the life,
for what to-be-alive.

4    Cuántos desengaños,
por una cabeza.
Yo juré mil veces,
no vuelvo a insistir.
Pero si un mirar
me hiere al pasar,
sus labios de fuego (su boca de fuego)     
otra vez quiero besar.

 how-many lost-illusions
by a head.
I  I-swore thousand times,
not I-return to repeat.
but if  a  look
me it-hurts when it-passes,
her lips of fire (her mouth of fire)
one-more time I-desire to-kiss.
 
5   Basta de carreras,
se acabó la timba.
 ¡Un final reñido
ya no vuelvo a ver!
Pero si algún pingo
llega a ser fija el domingo,
yo me juego entero.
¡Qué le voy a hacer..!

  it-is-enough  of  races,
itself  it-finished  the-card-game.
 an end of-tight-race
now not I-return to see!
but if some horse
it-becomes certain on-the Sunday,
I myself   I-play  whole-number
what  about-it  I'm-going  to do..!

    repeat **


Carlos Gardel sings at the beginning of the movie.

1 --> 2 -->3 with chorus   --> 4 --> 5  -->3a chorus
  ---Horse racing video,
         Gardel says  "por una cabeza", and shreds a ticket..----
-->3a  chorus   -->3b with chorus


note----------------------------------------------------------

1 "por una cabeza"   by a head,  by a horse's head length,  a winning margin in
   horse racing.
 noble :  noble   "noble" may mean "Thoroughbred"
 potrillo:  A horse less than three years old.
 raya :  line, finish line

2 metejón :  passionate infatuation
  hoguera :  bonfire, stake

3 perder la vida :  to lose one's life

4 insistir :  to insist

5
 se acabó :  it's over
 timba: a game of chance,  especially of cards
 pingo :  (Argentina, Uruguay) a horse
 llegar a ser :  to become
 fija :  (Andes, Cono Sur) One who will get a safe win in horse racing.
 ¡Qué le voy a hacer! :   How can I help it?

References
Spanish-English dictionary  http://www.spanishdict.com/

Text  https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Por_una_Cabeza

No comments:

Post a Comment